Who Is the Level 4 Home Care Package for?
The Level 4 Home Care Package is the highest-level package available in Australia. It's designed to provide comprehensive support to individuals with high-level care needs. This level of care is intended for older adults and younger individuals who require a significant amount of complex care to continue living independently in the comfort of their own home.
Regarding what does a Level 4 Home Care Package include, these are some of the most common types of care:
- Personal care and domestic assistance
- Complex nursing care and clinical care, including palliative care, wound management, medication reminders, etc.
- Specialist support like allied health services, social work, behavioural support, and other specialist services
- Advanced chronic health support for conditions including dementia, Parkinson's disease, advanced cardiovascular conditions, and similar conditions
- Social support and transportation services
- 24-hour care and constant monitoring
- Residential aged care
What Is the Difference Between Home Care Packages Level 1-4?
Home Care Package Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 differ in terms of the type of care provided and the number of hours of care. As opposed to other levels of Home Care Packages, Level 4 requires the highest level of aged care, and it's intended for those who can't complete everyday activities by themselves.
When it comes to Level 4 Home Care Package hours, Haisey Home Care offers up to 1,095 hours of care per year, which amounts to 42 hours a fortnight. Compared to Level 3, which offers intermediate-level care needs, Level 4 provides more hours and more complex care. Level 2 offers low-level care and Level 1 basic care, so they include even fewer hours of care.
Level 4 packages also receive higher government funding compared to other levels. The increased package funding allows for more extensive and intensive care services.
How to Apply for a Level 4 Home Care Package?
Now that you understand what is included in a Level 4 Home Care Package, let's talk about how you can apply for a Home Care Package. Note that you can't apply for a specific level of home care. It's rather assigned to you based on your eligibility and health needs.
Here's how you can apply for a Home Care Package:
- Contact My Aged Care or go to the My Aged Care website.
- Get assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team.
- Undergo an income assessment and pay an income-tested care fee.
- Wait for someone to contact you after being put on a waiting list.
- Get assigned to a Home Care Package level.
- Choose a home care provider.
- Create a care plan with your chosen care worker.
While you wait for approval, you will be placed in the national priority system, which is based on your accessed priority for home care. In the meantime, you will receive assistance through a low-level package. You'll be upgraded to Level 4 HCP as soon as it becomes available to you.
Are You Eligible for a Level 4 Home Care Package?
The eligibility criteria for a Level 4 Home Care Package are based on these two factors:
- High-level care needs
- Assessment results
Individuals must have significant care needs, often due to complex health conditions, advanced age-related issues, or functional limitations that require extensive support and assistance to live independently at home.
Eligibility for a Level 4 Home Care Package is also determined through an assessment conducted by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), which looks at personal care needs, medical conditions, mobility limitations, cognitive functioning, and overall health status. The Australian Government will also weigh your eligibility based on your income-tested care fee. Note that individuals who live on a full pension aren't required to pay this fee.
Home Care Package Level 4 Funding
Home Care Packages are a government subsidy funded by the Australian Government. The maximum Home Care Package Level 4 amount is $53,268.1 a year, which is $2,043.16 per fortnight. This includes the government's contribution and additional contributions made by the patient or their family.
Since Level 4 requires the highest level of care, the government contribution is the highest of all Home Care Package funds. Keep in mind that your Home Care Package budget will be paid directly to your chosen provider. The budget is then allocated and used to fund the approved services and supports outlined in the care plan, such as personal care, nursing care, allied health services, equipment, and modifications.
Choosing Your Home Care Package Level 4 Provider
When choosing a home care provider, these are some of the factors you should take into consideration:
- Can the home care provider give you with the appropriate level of support you need?
- Does the provider offer affordable care services?
- Do they charge a basic daily fee and an exit fee?
- Will the provided assistance allow you to remain living in the comfort of your own home?
- Do they have an excellent reputation for providing high-quality in-home care services?
- Do they offer services in your area?