Planning and Funding Your Care
Consumer Directed Care
There is a range of options for seniors and their families when it comes to funding aged care and home care. And while the known costs of professional home care seem daunting for the average family. However, we in Australia are privileged with various funding options.
Below, we put forward some of these in the form of Questions and Answers:
CDC is a way of delivering care that gives you choice and flexibility.
A CDC approach should give you:
- choices about the types of assistance you want and who will deliver the services and when
- control over decisions that relate to your life and your care
- information and knowledge so you can make more informed decisions.
The government has included CDC principles in Aged Care laws to ensure older people’s rights are protected.
Home Care Packages take a CDC approach, meaning that you:
- are encouraged to identify your goals which will be the basis of the care plan
- decide how much involvement you want to have in managing the package
- can choose the way services are delivered and by whom
- have an individualised budget and a monthly statement of income and expenditure
- can expect regular contact with your provider, and to change your supports if your needs or preferences change.
The six principles of CDC are:
- consumer choice and control
- respectful and balanced partnerships
- wellness and re-ablement
These principles guide the delivery of Home Care Packages.